Thursday, February 21, 2013

Step out and learn even more

Last term, when we were given the list of fabrics we needed to buy for our next term's sewing class, Jenny ( my sewing teacher) threw me a challenge: to use see-through fabric for the dress . She forbid the entire class to use such fabric, except for me and my friend (who's much more experienced in sewing than us beginners).

The trick is that I had to do french seams for all seams that the class is to overlock. Everyone who sews know that french seam is tedious. Alot of pressing, extra few steps, and extra neatness and care is needed for a proper french seam.. My choice of fabric didn't help either as it was very "slippery" and "fragile". Basically it slides under the footer very easily, and any rough pulling of thread or needle produces big holes easily. For the three classes, I described myself as in a state of meditation and zen with my fabric/sewing/sewing machine. I was handling the fabric like its a 1mm-thick glass, and the entire time I was in my own bubble as my sewing steps are different from the class. I felt no rush of competition for speed, and never felt I was falling back. The three classes pushed me to improve my sewing skills and attitude drastically.

Today, as I was back sewing with a comfortable stripped cotton (for men's shirt), I realised I was fast, neat and much more accurate than some of fellow classmates. It was only then did it dawn on me the impact of my french-seam dress.

I'm happy I succeeded pretty well in the challenge that Jenny and myself threw at me, and I'm really glad I stuck to it till the end. Instead of staying in my comfort zone as a safe choice, I stepped out. And guessed what happened? (:

It was a really good learning lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment